Use this particle motion CER activity to review and reinforce particle motion as students practice data analysis and making claims from evidence!
In this activity, students will:
- READ a brief passage about a science scenario.
- ANALYZE a simple data table, graph, or picture.
- Make a CLAIM based on EVIDENCE for a question related to particle motion.
Three Ways to Assign!
- As Stations: Great for getting kids moving around the room! Each of the 7 station cards has a brief description of a scenario and a data table, graph, or picture. Students complete a Claims, Evidence, and Reasoning grid for a question at each of the 7 stations.
- As a Worksheet: Great for individual student practice! Students read a short description of a science scenario and analyze the data to complete a Claims, Evidence, and Reasoning grid for each data set.
- Digitally: A Google Slides version of this activity is included.
This activity covers the middle school-level concepts of:
- Particles spread apart farther when thermal energy is added.
- Particles move faster when thermal energy is added.
- Increasing temperature corresponds to particles spreading apart (increasing volume).
- Increasing temperature corresponds to particles moving faster.
- INCLUDES AN ANSWER KEY.
- Related NGSS standard: MS-PS1-4
- Please note that this particle motion CER worksheet is not editable.
- You may also be interested in our Set of 4 Heat Worksheets!