This classification of matter unit bundle includes everything needed for students to learn to classify matter into elements, compounds, and mixtures, as well as be able to compare pure substances versus mixtures.
All of the work has been done for you – from start to finish!
- Editable PPT notes with Cloze sheets
- Varied supporting activities
- Hands-on labs (with EASY supplies!)
- Test with test review
- Engaging articles with questions for sub plans or a fun extra
- What are elements, compounds, and mixtures?
- Pure substances and mixtures are different in many ways (chemical composition, how they can be separated, if they keep their properties when they combine, if they have characteristic properties, and how they are represented)
- Counting atoms in a chemical formula (just the basics)
- Examples of common compounds and mixtures
- Properties of compounds (characteristic properties, different properties than their elements, definite chemical composition)
- Properties of mixtures (retain properties of substances, no definite composition)
- Compounds are made by chemical reactions
- Examples of skeleton models and ball and stick models of compounds
- Types of mixtures
- Ways mixtures can be separated
- The “Devise a Plan to Separate a Mixture” activity can be done with or without poster paper.
- The “Separate a Mixture” lab uses cereal, plastic sandwich bags, water bottles, and magnets.
- The “Elements, Compounds, Mixtures” activity requires an assortment of metal nuts, bolts, and washers.
- All other activities are paper-based.
- The information included is MIDDLE SCHOOL level.
- Includes all answer keys.
- The resources in this classification of matter unit are not editable.
- Read my blog about how I cover the classification of matter HERE.
SAVE BIG $$$! Check out our Matter & Chemistry Complete MEGA Unit!