Get this activity at a discount in our Classifying Matter Unit!
CHEAP MATERIALS and EASY PREP! Students identify and create models of elements, compounds, and mixtures. Students will be able to distinguish between pure substances and mixtures.
In PART ONE of this activity, students will:
- Make CLAIMS based on EVIDENCE about the classification of element, compound, and mixture models. Each model is made simply of different combinations of metal nut nuts, screws, and washers.
- ANSWER follow-up questions.
In PART TWO of this activity, students will:
- CREATE THEIR OWN models of given elements, compounds, and mixtures.
- IDENTIFY each model as an element, compound, or mixture.
- Metal nuts, bolts, and washers
- Petri dishes are helpful to contain the pieces, but plastic baggies or cups also do the trick.
- NGSS Science & Engineering Practices: Developing and using models
- Please note that this resource is not editable.
- Check out more resources in the classifying matter section of our shop!