Get this activity at a discount in our Christmas Science Activity Bundle!
Learn more about the biology of plants we traditionally see during December, and why they may be favorites of a GREEN HOLIDAY GROUCH***! Suitable for public school!
In this activity, students will:
- READ an engaging article about holiday plants (poinsettia, mistletoe, holly, and more), learning a little about each one, including its scientific name, where it is native to, and just a few fun details about it. The “hook” is that each of these plants has a bit of a darker side, some of them being toxic, an invasive species, or leading to habitat destruction – things a FAMOUS HOLIDAY GROUCH might like them for!
- COMPLETE a graphic organizer with information about the plants.
- ANSWER text-dependent reading comprehension questions.
TWO VERSIONS of the reading are provided. Each middle school-level article contains the same information, but the second version is condensed for some detail and image size. Both readings correspond to the analysis – so you choose the reading version that will work best for your students.
- GO PAPERLESS! Use the included digital Google Slides version of this activity!
- Answer key included.
- Please note: this resource is not editable
- This document does NOT contain the word Christmas – suitable for use in a public school with diverse students.
*** Please note that this resource does use the proper name or include the likeness of a trademarked character. A non-trademarked common noun from the dictionary is used in its place.
Check out more resources in the Christmas science section of our shop!