⭐ Get these classification of matter activities at a much deeper discount in our Classification of Matter Unit for teaching eements, compounds, and mixtures! ⭐
Spice up your elements, compounds, and mixtures unit with these LOW PREP and ENGAGING activities.
- Inquiry-Based Introduction to Classification of Matter
- EASY SUPPLIES Lab Activity
- Classification of Matter Claims Evidence Reasoning Activity
- Devise a Plan to Separate a Mixture (Great as a poster project!)
- Separating Mixtures at the FBI (Great real-world connection!)
- 50 Classifying Matter Review Cards (FREE BONUS)
: TWO VERSIONS! Use as an inquiry-based introduction OR a review/reinforcement of elements, compounds, and mixtures and how to read both molecular drawings and chemical formulas.
: This investigation puts a CLASSIFYING MATTER spin on the popular separating iron from breakfast cereal lab. This is the same procedure that is commonly used; however, this resource focuses on highlighting the ELEMENTS, COMPOUNDS, and MIXTURES in cereal.
: The CERs focus on evidence of the substance being an element, a compound, or a mixture.
Each of the 3 Sections (1 page each) Include:
- Short, engaging text passage with background information and properties
- Claims-Evidence-Reasoning question
- Follow up questions
: Great as a poster project! NO PREP! Students are told of a mixture and must make a plan to separate it. Basic knowledge of the difference between elements, compounds, and mixtures is required, as well as a simple understanding of density.
: In this activity, students will:
- Read a high-interest 2-slide article about how chromatography, a process used to separate mixtures, is forensic science used to solve major crimes for the FBI.
- Complete a 2-slide analysis of the text, which includes 12 text-dependent questions and a flow chart.
: (FREE BONUS) This document provides 50 test review question cards for classification of matter. Pairs of students ask each other the questions on the cards to prepare for a test, or as a general review.
- All answer keys included.
- Please note: these classification of matter activities are not editable.