⭐ Get this elements and compounds activity at a discount in our Classifying Matter Unit!
Classification of Matter Activity: Students see that the PROPERTIES of compounds are not necessarily the same as the elements that make them up!
In this activity, students will:
- RESEARCH the properties of one compound (from a provided list) and the two elements that make it up. They can use the internet OR the information pages we have provided – your choice.
- CREATE A TRI-FOLD BROCHURE (from a provided template with specific prompts) to visually compare the properties of the compound and its two elements.
- ANSWER follow-up questions including some CER analysis. Questions lead students to conclude that the properties of a compound may be very different than its elements.
- Related standard: NGSS MS-PS1-1
- This resource is appropriate for upper middle school.
- Please note that this resource is not editable.
- Check out more resources in the classifying matter section of our shop!