Get this activity at a discount in our Science Games Bundle!
Perfect to build relationships at the beginning of the school year, before vacations, or after a test – fun for any time!
Topics include NGSS Earth, space, life, and physical science, plus several science-themed “weird but true” types of facts. Each card list two statements about the card’s theme that are true and one that is a lie. The information is engaging and the lies and truths are hard to tell apart, so this leads to spirited conversations!
There are 55 cards provided, each with its own theme.
Sample themes include:
- Peculiar Plants
- The Sun
- Human Impact
- Fossil Fuels
- Many, many more – 55 themes total!
The activity progresses as follows:
- One student reads a card out loud.
- The group discusses which statement they believe is a lie and which are truths.
- Turn the card over to reveal which statement was the lie (and why) and learn a bit more information about all 3 statements.
- At the end of the activity, the teacher leads an informal discussion about which truths and which lies the students found most interesting or surprising.
- The cards are not visually fancy as they do not have clip art or color. This makes them printer-friendly.
- 55 cards are provided, which is easily enough to split to make 2 separate games if desired.
- Every card is middle school appropriate in both science content and theme, but these cards are fun for all secondary grades.
- Detailed teacher notes are provided.
- Please note that this resource is not editable.
- Check out more resources in the science games section of our shop!