Get this activity at a discount in our Halloween Activities Bundle!
NO PREP AND NO ACTUAL PUMPKINS REQUIRED!
Both PRINT and GOOGLE SLIDES versions are included.
In this middle school-level Halloween activity, students practice plugging numbers into a scientific equation and graphing fun pumpkin-related data. Students will observe the relationship between MASS and ENERGY and also SPEED and ENERGY.
In Part One of this activity, students will:
- READ about a real contest where pumpkins are launched from air cannons.
- CALCULATE kinetic energy given the mass of different pumpkins if they were launched from an air cannon.
(This section shows the relationship between mass and kinetic energy.)
In Part Two of this activity, students will:
- READ about a real pumpkin pie tossing contest.
- CALCULATE kinetic energy of each pie given their velocity.
(This section shows the relationship between velocity and kinetic energy.)
In Part Three of this activity, students will:
- GRAPH the data from Part One and Part Two.
- GO PAPERLESS! Use the included digital Google Slides version!
- No prior knowledge of energy is required.
- All math is appropriate for middle school, and the equation is provided so it is “plug and go”.
- Although there are a few color pictures of notable pumpkins, color printing is NOT necessary.
- Makes a great sub plan in October.
- Answer key included.
- Please note that this resource is not editable.
- Related Standards: NGSS MS-PS3-1 and MS-PS2-2
- Check out more resources in the Halloween science section of our shop!