Easy supplies – a user-friendly investigation for a human impact on the environment unit or weather unit! This lab uses easy-to-obtain supplies and results in dramatic results that clearly demonstrate the greenhouse effect. We have simplified some of the more common – yet complicated – labs out there to make our lab straightforward and easy to follow for middle school students. (We also simplified the supplies list!)
This lab corresponds perfectly with our Greenhouse Effect Reading!
In this activity, students will:
- Read a quick introduction to the greenhouse effect
- Write a hypothesis
- Follow the simple procedure and record results in the data table
- Graph data on a provided graph
- Write a conclusion
- Answer analysis questions
At the end of this lab, students will conclude that the greenhouse effect leads to increased temperatures.
- Beakers or cups
- Lamps (can be shared by groups)
- Cheap soil
- Plastic wrap
Get this activity at a huge discount in our comprehensive Climate Change Unit!
- NGSS MS-ESS2-5, MS-ESS3-4, MS-ESS3-5
- NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Asking questions and defining problems
- NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Developing and using models
- NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Planning and carrying out investigations
- NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Analyzing and interpreting data
- INCLUDES ANSWER KEY.
- Please note: this resource is not editable.
- Check out more climate change resources in the Climate Change section of the shop!