Get this resource at a discount in our Classifying Matter Unit!
Classification of Matter Activity – students read 3 short and engaging informational text passages about an element, a compound, and a mixture, then complete a CER for each section using evidence from the text for each one.
Includes PRINT and GOOGLE versions!
The CERs focus on evidence of the substance being an element, a compound, or a mixture. Each of the 3 sections (1 page each) includes:
- Short, engaging text passage with background information and properties
- Claims-Evidence-Reasoning question
- Follow up questions
Engaging Passage Topics Include:
- Multi-million dollar rose gold eggs
- Gallium pranks
- The hazards of dihydrogen monoxide
We find this a helpful practice for standardized tests because it requires using background knowledge and information from text to arrive at an answer.
- INCLUDES AN ANSWER KEY.
- Related standards: NGSS MS-PS1-1
- Please note that this resource is not editable.
- Check out more resources in the classifying matter section of our shop!