Use this Heat CER Activity to get kids thinking critically! Review and reinforce conduction, convection, and radiation as students practice data analysis and make claims from evidence!
In this activity, students will:
- READ a brief passage about a science scenario.
- ANALYZE a simple data table, graph, or picture.
- Make a CLAIM based on EVIDENCE for a question related to heat.
Three Ways to Assign!
- As Stations: Great for getting kids moving around the room! Each of the 11 station cards has a brief description of scenario and a data table, graph, or picture. Students complete a Claims, Evidence, and Reasoning grid for a question at each of the 11 stations.
- As a Worksheet: Great for individual student practice! Students read a short description of a science scenario and analyze the data to complete a Claims, Evidence, and Reasoning grid for each data set.
- Digitally: A Google Slides version of this activity is included.
This activity covers the middle school-level concepts of:
- The difference between convection, conduction, and radiation.
- Thermal energy moves until equilibrium is reached.
- Warmer objects will lose thermal energy and cooler objects will gain thermal energy.
- INCLUDES AN ANSWER KEY.
- Please note that this heat CER activity is not editable.
- You may also be interested in our Particle Motion CER Activity!