Get this activity at a discount in our Classifying Matter Unit!
Perfect for units covering the classification of matter (elements, compounds, mixtures) and pure substances versus mixtures. In this activity, students are told of a mixture and must make a plan to separate it. It’s challenging! (Not for you… it’s no prep!)
Basic knowledge of the difference between elements, compounds, and mixtures is required, as well as a simple understanding of density.
In this activity, students will:
- READ about a “soup” that their nephew has made
- IDENTIFY each individual part of the soup as an element, a compound, or mixture
- DRAW how the soup will settle out (based mostly on density)
- DEVISE A PLAN to separate the soup with the materials provided
- ANSWER follow-up questions
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a paper-based activity – no actual separation occurs. We have the students work in pairs and complete the drawing and separation plan on poster paper. However, as written, this document is a worksheet-based activity.
- Supports: NGSS MS-PS1-1 and MS-PS1-2
- ANSWER KEY INCLUDED.
- Please note that this resource is not editable.
- Check out more resources in the classifying matter section of our shop!
There are no reviews yet.