This plant adaptations reading is the perfect addition to teaching NGSS MS-LS1-4 and great as a life science sub plan! Students learn about some of the coolest and most interesting plant adaptations that increase survival and the ability to reproduce.
Includes both print and Google Slides versions!
In this activity, students will:
- READ an engaging article about 10 of the coolest and most interesting plant adaptations.
- ANSWER text-dependent questions. No prior knowledge is needed!
Some of the weird adaptations that keep kids ENGAGED include:
- Dodder vines are parasites that smell their prey.
- Black bat flowers have whiskers to mimic animals.
- Old man cacti grow “hair”.
- Resurecction ferns play dead.
- Plus many more!
This resource is perfect as a SUB PLAN because:
- The topic is very engaging for kids!
- NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE is required – all the information kids need is included in the text.
- Clear answer keys are included, making it easy for a sub to review.
- Each article supports literacy, reading comprehension, and vocabulary acquisition.
- The lesson is NGSS-aligned.
- No copies are needed! Use the included digital Google Slides version, if you’d like!
- Using the paper version? Spend less time at the copier! The article is separate from the student worksheets, so you only need to make one class set of the reading. The reading can be reused class-class. Students only write on the worksheet portion.
- Includes answer key.
- This plant adaptations reading is NOT editable.
- You may also be interested in our Top 10 Animal Adaptations Reading!