Perfect reading to introduce natural selection (NGSS MS-LS4-4) and effective for sexual reproduction units (NGSS MS-LS3-2).
This resource includes:
- 2-page article about variation within species
- 10-question analysis section
The analysis includes:
- How variations within a species help the species as a whole survive
- Students generating their own examples of variation within a species
- Complete of a short claims/evidence/reasoning section related to genetic variation
Class discussion should focus on how every species has variation within individuals, and this helps the population as a whole when there are changes or pressures within the environment.
This reading is targeted for a middle school level student and aims to simplify the idea that even organisms that look alike are actually genetically different. Many teachers find this a difficult concept for middle-schoolers, so we brought the ideas of diversity within a species and the importance of genetic diversity down to a basic understanding in this reading.
- ANSWER KEY INCLUDED.
- Please note: This resource is not editable.
There are no reviews yet.