Get this moon phases activity at a discount in our Moon & Tides Activity Bundle!
In this phases of the moon worksheet, students are provided data about what percent of the moon is illuminated for each day of a month. They graph the data and then use it to answer questions about which moon phases would occur on different dates.
In this activity, students will:
- READ brief background information on moon phases
- GRAPH the percentage of the moon that is illuminated by date
- ANSWER follow-up questions (from the graph) that relate to moon phases
Please note: This activity starts the moon phase cycle on the full moon. We did this intentionally because most activities and diagrams “start” the moon phases on the new moon, so this is what kids get accustomed to seeing. We try to mix it up to reinforce that moon phases are a cycle and don’t “start” anywhere.
- INCLUDES ANSWER KEY.
- This moon phase activity is not editable.
- NGSS Standard: MS-ESS1-1, HS-ESS1-4
- NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Analyzing and interpreting data
- NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Check out more resources in the moon and tides section of our shop!