We have lots of resources like this in the representation in science section of our shop!
Show the many important ways African American scientists have contributed to modern scientific discoveries using an easy-to-implement timeline project, an engaging webquest, and 5 biography readings with worksheets.
Plus, each included resource (except the large timeline project) includes both print and Google Slides option to assign!
Bundle Includes 7 Resources:
- TIMELINE PROJECT: African American Achievements in Science
- BIOGRAPHY & QUESTIONS: Dr. Marie Maynard Daly, Chemist
- BIOGRAPHY & QUESTIONS: Valerie Thomas, NASA Astronomer
- BIOGRAPHY & QUESTIONS: Vivien Thomas, Cardiology Pioneer
- BIOGRAPHY & QUESTIONS: Percy Julian, Chemist
- BIOGRAPHY & QUESTIONS: Dr. Jane C. Wright, Cancer Researcher
- WEBQUEST: African American Contributions to Science
: PRINT AND GO! EASY – JUST PRINT, CUT & ASSEMBLE! Everything you need is included for students to create an African American Achievements in Science timeline or bulletin board. A variety of scientists are included with dates ranging from 1792 through today. Here’s the process for students:
- Tape or glue together the provided timeline templates (5 – 8.5″x11″ sheets)
- Color code the 25 biography boxes according to field of science
- Attach biography boxes to the timeline
- Enter the dates
- Add pictures (provided) to each of the entries
Two versions are provided – one in which the students do the research themselves and one in which the biographical information is provided for them.
: Valerie Thomas lead many important programs at NASA, especially those related to satellites. She is best known for her invention of the illusion transmitter, the precursor to today’s 3D technology.
: Vivien Thomas played a vital role in the development of several life-saving surgical techniques, including surgically correcting blue baby syndrome and implanting automatic defibrillators.
: Dr. Marie Maynard Daly was the first African American woman to earn a PhD in chemistry, and her remarkable work as a chemist has had implications for the understanding of the structure of DNA, gene expression, and cardiovascular health.
: Percy Julian played a vital role in developing easier and cheaper ways to extract steroids from plants, making these life-changing medicines, such as cortisone, available for millions of people.
: Dr. Jane C. Wright revolutionized cancer research, and her work has had implications for cancer treatment to this day.
: 3 Separate Webquest Resources – Can be used individually or together! Assign them together or assign individually as homework, for fast-finishers, or throughout Black History Month (or any time!).
- All answer keys are included.
- Please note: these PDF documents are not editable.
- GO PAPERLESS! Each included resource (except the large timeline project) includes both print and Google Slides options to assign!